The Society of Critical Care Medicine, USA has named Dr. Ihab BabikerAbdalrahman, Deputy Director of Soba University Hospital, Director of Soba Education, Training & Examinations Center (SETEC), as Fundamentals in Critical Care Course (FCCS) Director.
Soba University Hospital can now conduct the FCCS Course WITHOUT Visiting Faculty from outside Sudan. This will lead to:
- Increase in FCCS Seats:With Local faculty only, the course can be conducted 4 – 6 times a year, which would mean up to 240 seats per year (average course size is 40 seats).
With Visiting Faculty the course, can be conducted once or twice a year
- Reduction in cost: With Local faculty only, the costs of the course will be limited to the purchase of books and license.
With Visiting faculty, the cost of airline tickets and hotel, hospitality expenses are shouldered by SAMA &Sadagaat.
SAMA would like to extend a big thank you to Dr. Abbas Khider Ali, Critical Care Attending in Geisinger Medical Center, Danville, PA for being an essential part of this achievement. Dr. Abbas worked tirelessly since 2013 in recruiting staff from Geisinger Medical Center to come to Sudan to conduct the 3 FCCS Courses sponsored by SAMA, efforts which led to establishing Soba University Hospital as a center for FCCS (the course is available only in KSA, Qatar & Egypt).
Rufaa’s First Immediate Life Support Course – November 21st 2015
Collaborative Effort of University of Albutana, Soba Education, Training & Examinations Center (SETEC), Bit Abusin Voluntary Organization, Sudanese American Medical Association
Trainees – 18 Junior Physicians from Rufaa Area
Trainers – 8 Certified ILS Instructors from Soba Education, Training & Examinations Center (SETEC)
Rufaa’s First Basic Life Support Course – April 2015
- 26 Junior Physicians from Rufaa & Hassaheisa
- 20 from Rufaa’s Medical Centers (Rufaa Teaching Hospital & Rufaa Dialysis Unit)
- 6 from Hasa Heisa Teaching Hospital (across the Blue Nile from Rufaa)
Trainers – Certified BLS Instructors from Soba Education, Training & Examinations Center (SETEC)
Competencies taught and tested:
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation – CPR – technique
- Using Automated External Defibrillator – AED
- Using Bag & Valve Mask
SAMA & SETEC Visit to Albutana University in Rufa’a
As part of its strategy to develop Education and Training outside Khartoum, SAMA has teamed up with Soba Education, Training & Examination Center (SETEC) to deliver Education and Training to medical and nursing professionals in Rufa’a. Below are the details of the site visit to Albutana University by the leadership of SAMA & SETEC
Rufa’a is located on the Eastern Bank of the Blue Nile, 140 km South of Khartoum, 50 km North of Medani. Rufa’s is known for being the home of the first elementary school for girls in Sudan; established by Babiker Badri in 1907.
Visit to Albutana University
- Albutana University is composed of the following colleges:
- Education (Rufa’a), established in 2001 as a branch of Gezira University
- Economics & Administration (Alhilalia), both established in 2003 as a branch of Gezira University
- Veterinary Medicine (Tamboul), established in 2005, as a branch of Gezira University
- Agriculture (Abuharaz)
- Medicine (Rufa’a) – currently enrolling first year students
Top Row; From left to right, Ustaz Anwar Atta Almanan, Butana Univeristy, Dr. Ihab Tarawa (ICU), Deputy Director General, Soba University Hospital, Head of SETEC, Ustaz Anwar Eissa Ahmed Rashid, Vice Chancellor, Albutana University, Dr. Salah Abusin (Interventional Cardiology), Vice President, Sudanese American Medical Association, Dr. Hasan Ali Musa (Laparoscopic surgery), Dean of Medicine, Butana University, Dr. Mohamed Ahmed Abdulrahman (OBGYN), Director General, Rufaa Teaching Hospital
Bottom Row: Dr. Ahmed Abusalab (Anesthesiology), Nilein University & SETEC, Ahmed Mohamed Elshayeb, Butana University, Fatima Hamad Abusin, Bint Abusin Charity Organization, Dr. Ibrahim Elshiri (OBGYN), Vice Dean of Medicine, Butana University
Prof Suliman (4th from the right) & Prof Warren (1st from the right) conducted a research project in Household Pollution in Port Sudan, Sudan.
They also gave presentations in the School of Medicine, Red Sea University about Household Air Pollution and Carbon monoxide poisoning.Prof Warren also gave a presentation in the University of Khartoum’s 6th Scientific Conference ” Chronic Lung Disease in the Developing world”Prof Suliman gave a presentation “Household Air Pollution” and reported some preliminary data from the research project.The Professors chaired a three hours session discussing and judging the young investigators award.