Establishing a Sentinel Site for Rheumatic Heart Disease Control in Gezira State
1- To determine the prevalence of RHD in school children age 10 – 16 Gezira State
2- To train health workers (doctors, nurses, medical assistants, health promoters and community health workers) on their knowledge to identify symptoms of RHD
3- Assess the capabilities of local health centers to diagnose and treat acute rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease.
Phase 1: November 2016 to February 2017
- A sample size of 2300 was predicted to allow for determining the prevalence of RHD in Gezira State.
- Ethical approval was obtained from the Faculty of Medicine, University of Khartoum
- Administrative approval for local authorities: Gezira State Ministry of Health and school authorities were obtained.
- An area in Gezira with apparently high prevalence of RHD was selected (Al Managil)
- Selection of schools from relatively poor communities in Almanagil area.
- School visits: 12 schools , 2520 pupils and 90 teachers contacted : health awareness sessions were conducted (photos 1,2,3)
- Consents from parents to participate in Echo screening was obtained through a form distributed to all children through the schools.
- Echo screening was conducted in 1,300 pupils (Photo 4)
Phase 2: July – December 2017
- Visits to health centers to evaluate their readiness to diagnose and treat acute rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease
- Training of health workers (doctors, nurses, medical assistants, health promoters and community health workers) : by conducting workshops and distributing manuals and posters. Pre and post training evaluation
- Screening 1000 children.
- Review of the data by 2 pediatric cardiologists.
- Data analysis and reporting.
- Consolidation of training and re evaluation of health workers after 6 months.
Demographics of RHD In Sudan By State[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”4″ gal_title=”RHD”]
Prof. Sulafa Ali- Consultant Pediatric Cardiologist, University of Khartoum
Dr. Haitham Awadallah. Consultant Public Health, University of Khartoum
Dr. Hussam Ali, MSc. Student, Public Health, University of Khartoum
Dr. Mohamed Al Amin, Consultant Pediatric Cardiologist, University of Gezira
Dr. Tajudeen Bushari, Fellow, Pediatric Cardiologist